What About Parents?
The Volunteer Toolkit (VTK) is a digital resource that supports troop leaders and co-leaders, making the process of running a troop easier and more efficient. Check out some of the toolkit’s top features below. Then watch the video playlist above for a detailed walk-through.
Through the VTK, troop leaders can:
- Plan the troop’s calendar year
- Email parents with one click.
- View the troop roster, renew girls’ membership, and update their contact information.
- View Daisy, Brownie, and Junior Journeys and badges to plan for troop meetings.
o There are three prepopulated year plans in the VTK for Daisy, Brownie, and Junior leaders, with 15 meetings each.
- Customize meetings by troop year with other badge and Journey options.
- NEW! Access the VTK as a multilevel troop (troops with a mix of girls in Daisy, Brownie, and Junior levels).
- Explore individual meeting plans that show a breakdown of every meeting, including a list of the materials needed, and editable time allotments for each activity within a meeting.
- Record girls’ attendance at meetings and their badge and Journey achievements.
- Add council or custom troop events to the troop’s calendar.
- Enter the troop’s finances (depending on the council’s process).
- Easily locate resources, such as Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- NEW! Access 18 activities that now include a “Get Outside” option, which provides alternative outdoor options.
- Parents can now access the VTK to see what their girl’s troop or group is doing (e.g, meeting information and which badges and Journeys she is working on).
- Parents can also view the troop’s finances (depending on the council’s process).
Log in today! Click on My GS in the upper right-hand corner to get started.
Your Girl Scout year just got easier.
As a Girl Scout volunteer, you already know that your girls love Girl Scouts for the friends, the fun, and all the new things they get to try.
But what if there was a way to run your troop or group that saves you time and helps you plan so that you can spend more time with the girls? Meet the Volunteer Toolkit, the web app that makes it easy for you to get the most out of every troop or group meeting.
With the Volunteer Toolkit, troop leaders can:
- Access a whole year of Girl Scout fun by age level. Year plans come with pre-populated sets of meetings that give you plenty of ideas for activities and all the resources you need at your fingertips.
- Your year plan is fully customizable. You can even change the order of meetings by just dragging and dropping.
- Manage troop finances
- Access the girl and family roster
- Track girls’ achievements and attendance
6 Reasons to Love VTK
- It’s Everywhere– as a digital resource volunteers can plan and prepare practically anywhere their smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer are! Stuck in the waiting room at the doctor’s office and need to email the troop a quick reminder not to forget their rain boots for Saturday’s creek stomping trip? Pull out your smart phone, click on the My Troop tab, and send out your reminder.
- It's Constantly Evolving: GSUSA is updating content, adding functions and improving this tool based on feedback from the councils and volunteers using this resource. The My Troop tab went live this fall, a parent view was added in October and new badge content was added for Brownies (Computer Expert, Brownie Sense, Outdoor Adventurer) and Juniors (Entertainment Technology, Social Butterfly, Horseback Riding). As the years go by, more contect will be added and features will be upgraded based on input from volunteers across the nation.
- It's Customizable. K-5 Troop leaders can choose from pre-populated (out-of-the-box) year plans from the Year Plan Library or create your own customized plan by dragging and dropping meetings into your customized Year Plan track. All leaders (K-12) can use the "Create Your Own" Year Plan to add customer activities, trips, and council activities/events to their Year Plan.
- It Tracks Important Things. Through the My Troop and Meeting Plan tabs you can keep track of who is registered to your troop, their meeting attendance and achievements like badges / Journey awards, and their guardian's contact info. You can also track troop income and expenses in the Finance Tab.
- It Keeps Parents Informed. Primary caregivers have the ability to view their girls' troop year. They'll be able to see the Year Plan, Meeting Plan, and Finance Plan, as well as a list of the other members of the troop (no contact info.). For tech savvy parents that means less need to call leaders to ask what's on the packing list for the annual camp out, when the next meeting is, or what the troop spent money on this year. It's a digital Girl Scout planner / calendar that instantly updates at the click of the button.
- It's Green. This resources replaces the Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting and Journey books as the primary resource for Girl Scout volunteers for badge and journey requirements. While girls can still enjoy having their own copies of the books, volunteers will be able to find the content through this digital resource. Less books to buy, store, and lug around with your troop materials! Let the trees rejoice!
So what are you waiting for? Try it out yourself and join the digitial Girl Scout age!